Friday 25 October 2013

The Tablet War



With the release of Nokia Lumia 2520 the battles of the tablet has heated up even more. Just a month back Microsoft had announced it’s updated versions of Surface and Surface Pro tablets - the Surface 2 and the Surface Pro 2.
Apple’s iPad created the tablet market and has ruled over it since then. Even now, when the Android based tablets, collectively, have a larger share than Apple’s, iPad is still the single most popular tablet in the world.
I have been meaning to buy a tablet myself, but refrained from it because of limited functionality they offer. Yes. I am tempted by iPad but being writer, could not see myself writing my blogs on a tablet. Though it’s good as a consumption device - for browsing the web, emails, watching videos, some social networking through the apps. But not creation. Content or otherwise.
I can’t say about others but for my needs, Microsoft’s Surface 2 looks perfect. Apart from offering all the other features - that other tablets offer, too - it gives me the ability to write, like with a keyboard ! I have seen the videos and it actually looks awesome ! Microsoft Surface 2 comes with Microsoft Office pre-installed. MS Office is the most widely used suite of productivity apps in the world. Come to think of it - 90% of users will be happy with a lightweight computer that allows them to do whatever a regular tablet does, PLUS MS Office. In fact, the more I think of it, the more it becomes clear that apart from MS Office, I don’t really need other desktop apps !
I have been toying with the idea of getting one as soon as it lands up in India, when I saw the news of Nokia’s tablet - the Lumia 2520! And IT IS BEAUTIFUL. Yes, it truly is. Plus it has GPS, and LTE - that’s cellular connectivity. The keyboard is also there, although Surface’s keyboard looks more integral part of the tabet than Nokia’s. But yes, it has definitely caught my fancy.
Now waiting for either of these to land up in India so that I can go to a store and touch it and pick the one that I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment